Nigerians are avid users and consumers of technology and the gadgets they come with – from phones to tablets, laptops, airpods, earphones, chargers, screen guards, batteries and many more technological accessories. With a population of over 200M, much of which consists young people, the market for tech and gadgets has grown to a very impressive figure and will continue to grow.
Nigeria is already home to the largest gadget market in West Africa – with the most popular in Lagos’ Computer Village, Ikeja. However, there are a lot of other large gadget markets spread across the country for people to get just about anything they want in tech. In today’s list we examine some of those markets.
- Kasuwar Waya, Kano: Kasuwar Waya means “Phone Market” in Hausa, the market is located around Farm Center area of Kano metropolis and is the largest gadget market in all of northern Nigeria. The market serves the neighboring states of Sokoto, Katsina, Kebbi, Borno and even Niger Republic. The market is occupied by thousands of youths who embark on several businesses such as phone repairs, phone selling (new and second hand) and computer accessories.
- GSM Village, PortHarcourt: Situated on the busy Aba express road in Port harcourt, GSM village is goto market for residents of Nigeria’s 3rd largest city. Besides the sale of phones, laptops and accessories, the market renders services like gadget repairs and servicing. The market also houses the regional offices of multinational brands like Tecno and Carlcare.
- GSM Plaza, Kaduna: This market is along the ever-busy Ahmadu Bello Way Road in Kaduna city. The market was commissioned in 2019 by the present governor, Nasir El Rufai and is one of the most organized gadget markets in Nigeria. The market serves Kaduna’s teeming population and the neighboring states of Jigawa, Katsina and even Abuja.
- Emeka Offor Plaza, Onitsha: This is perhaps the second largest gadget market in Nigeria after Computer Village. Situated right inside the largest market in West Africa (Onitsha Main market) Emeka Offor Plaza serves the gadget needs of the entire South East region. The market is home to some of the biggest importers of phones, laptops and tech accessories in Nigeria’s South East. Almost every major phone brand operating in Nigeria has a service center at the market. The market is however notorious for fraudsters.
- Computer Village Ikeja: Nigeria’s gadget ‘warehouse’, Computer Village is the most popular and the largest gadget market in Nigeria. If you don’t find an item in Computer Village, you are unlikely to find it anywhere else. Apart from the sales of information and technology accessory, Computer Village also deals in the repair and exchange of mobile phones.
There are lots of other gadget markets in cities in Nigeria including Ogbete in Enugu, Dan Kure Market in Sokoto and Garrison in Port Harcourt.